Monday, October 19, 2009

John Wayne Caricature Work In Progress Photos

Here I'm just adding more detail with colored pencils. The desert background started to come into focus at this time.

Here I started using colored pencils and acrylic paint applied a little more opaquely to move the image along. Notice I reversed the value of his vest and his shirt. I decided I wanted the vest and hat to end up being about the same color and the shirt had to be a classic red one. I also eliminated about 2 inches of the sky making the composition more squat. Not doing the sunset just made that area dead space.

At this time, I was just make more changes and adjustments. I changed my mind on the sunset type sky and decided to go with day time setting. This helped with the overall value range in the composition.

I then used more acrylic washes to establish values. At this point, I kept it mostly monochromatic to help visual the value placement.

Here is the first step to my John Wayne piece. After I transfered the drawing to a piece of illustration board, I applied a warm wash of orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment