Monday, July 18, 2011

Spins a Web Any Size, Look Out Here Comes...

Here is a Spider-man standing pose I did recently to work on a redesign of his costume. After several attempts and 3 erasers later, I have personally come to the conclusion that his costume is just about perfect. I just wasn't happy with any of the overhauls I came up with. I don't think there are too many comic characters out there who's costumes are able to stand the test of time (see my Superman redesign for an example of this) like Spidey's. I believe it still has a nice modern feel and look even though it's over 40 years old.

I only made a couple of slight alterations in my take on Spidey. I simplified the webbing pattern on his costume to make it almost just straight lines intersecting the vertical lines. I also made the spider emblem on his chest more angular and less rounded. I think it makes it more stylized and slightly edgier. Probably the biggest change I made was removing all the blue on his suit and replacing it with black. Typically, Spidey's suit has blue with a ton of black shadowing drawn into it. That always confused me as a child. Was his suit red and blue with black shadowing or red and black with blue highlights? Well, I have removed all confusion.

You are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment