Friday, August 5, 2011

Holy Batman Redesign!!

So I did a Superman redesign a while back and almost immediately started doing a Batman design right after I finished.  Then life happened, lol.  I became so busy with other things & other projects that this was buried under piles of stuff on my desk. 

In recent light of and in total disgust of DC Comics "relaunch," (which is really a reboot, but don't argue with dc fan boys, you can't win) I decided to finally finish this.

Above are scans of all my preliminary work up to the finished line work. In the first image of the line up, I stole the legs from my Superman design so they would be similar in design and because I was feeling lazy.  Hey, I'm honest.  Don't judge me. 

Obviously the legs changed as I changed the over all look of my Batman, which by the way, happened about a billion times in my head and translated into about 3 times on paper.  I couldn't make up my mind what kind of Batman I wanted my Batman to be.  Technical with a lot of armor and gadgets or sleek and streamed lined? Ultimately I think I was able to merge the two ideas to some degree.  Overall, the costume is fairly simple.  All the classic Batman elements are there, minus the underwear. That was an easy choice.  It's sleek with out the look of armor. It reminds me that under the cowl is just a man, not a "superman." My design allows for focus to be on his skills as a detective and as a martial artist, two of Batman's core elements.  The utility belt is deigned to show the technical side of Batman.  I wanted to make sure that the belt was able to contrast the simplicity of the suit & at the same time reiterate the fact that he is just a man.  He needs the bat-a-rangs, gas pellets & shark repellent to help him get the job done more effectively. Oh, and the grappling gun to scale all those buildings in Gotham. Not sure where he keeps that though. : )

The finished line work on the far right was all hand done with a few elements, like the batman symbol and parts of the utility belt, being drawn in  to photoshop after it was scanned.

Final color version coming soon...stay tuned, same Bat-time, same Bat...uh...Blog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment