Friday, September 16, 2011

Against the Odds Unused Sketches



 
Sometimes you think you have a solid idea that totally rocks and you just know everyone involved will go gaga over it.  This is not one of those times.  I took on a logo design project at the beginning of August for a mentoring/counseling service called "Against the Odds."  After talking to the client, a couple of initial ideas popped into my brain really quick (see the images above).  I showed them to the client and although she liked them, she didn't believe that they fit the over all feel of her organization.  I was a little disappointed because I thought I had hit the nail on the head.  But after more creative discussion with her on what she wanted out of a logo, I went back to the drawing board, or desk in my case.  My next round of sketches were much more in line with her own vision of what she wanted.

Two important life/design lessons learned from this so far:

(1.) Your first solution to a design project is probably based too much off of your past visual history.  Take that initial design, push it aside and push in deeper until you are drained creatively.  Don't completely forget about it though.  It might have some value in helping you determine where to go next.

(2.)  At some point, you have to get past your own references.  I'm all for using references and doing research for my creative work. Seeking out knowledge is never a bad thing.  But eventually, you have to put them away because they will start to hold you back.  They can cause to have self doubt in your abilities.  Eventually, you have just let them go and design from your gut.


No comments:

Post a Comment